Login     
    Register Home  •   Board index  •   Chat  •   FAQ     

Jump to:  
 Post subject: Rental garage space?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:52 am 
Mall Crawler
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

So... in order for me to really consider High Maintenance "safe" to wheel in Arizona, she needs some work. Interestingly enough, most of it seems to be work I can do myself: skids, a CCE kit for the D35, a lunchbox locker for the D30, stuff like that. And, since my wife isn't in town yet and my apartment is so unfurnished that it's like camping indoors, I've been working a lot of overtime, so I actually have enough disposable income to pick up most of the goodies mentioned above. That's the good news.

The bad news: I have no garage. My vehicles are currently parked on a 10' x 10' concrete pad in front of my apartment. I could easily handle small repairs and upgrades here (such as an upcoming CB install), but doing a long job in the sweltering June sun does not sound like fun. PLUS, you know I'm going to take my time, it'd be great to have a place to work where I don't have to worry about being done by nightfall. The wife and I are going to be buying our first home here eventually, but nothing is under contract yet.

SO... I don't even know if such a thing exists but does anybody know of anywhere (a business or private owner) where I could rent garage space? Ideally, I'd like a bay large enough for my Jeep and a little extra room to work. I would need electricity for lights and tools. I'd need something that I could pay rent on and call "mine" like I was renting an apartment, so that I could set up a workbench, spread out my project, and not have to worry about leaving things in pieces for a day or two if I needed to.

I actually rent a nearly empty 10x20 storage space ATM, and thought about trying to work there, but there is no electricity so I'd need to bring a generator. Plus, although I haven't looked yet, I'm sure there's something in the rental contract that prohibits this.

A couple of TOR members have already offered their garages as a place to wrench on High Maintenance if I needed to. I DEEPLY appreciate those who have made the offer, and I'm not saying I wouldn't some day take you up on it, but I'm sure you understand I wouldn't want to tie up your garage with my weekend (or longer) projects. Thanks again though!

AND Thanks for reading!

Ike

She's High Maintenance: 1999 TJ, 4.0, 5spd. 2" BB, 1.25" BL, MML, sliders, front and rear recovery points, D30/D35 (both open), 31" ATs, differential guards, UCF oil pan skid, Savvy gast tank skid, and a dirty smile.

Profile E-mail  
 Post subject: Re: Rental garage space?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:27 am 
Mall Crawler

I know they are around, my friend used to rent a 20x20 shop with a friend. All it was was a garage with lights and hose bib outside but it was awesome for them as they lived in apartments and this was the perfect place to store and work on their quads and an old 4x4 they were restoring. It was over off Michigan street I think in that industrial section near country club and ajo. I have also read of people doing similar things all around but I don't have any other information other than I have seen it done lol.

TOR Build up thread for Frankenstein!
My 1984 Frankenstein 4Runner on Pirate4x4
SoAZ 4x4 Club and our Forum

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:09 pm 
Mall Crawler

JD:

Thanks for the tip! I couldn't find anything about them online but found Michigan Drive on mapquest. There were also a few separate sections of Michigan St, but they all looked really residential so I didn't bother looking there. I just went for a ride down there and I found it right where you said it'd be. The cost for rent and electricity is $300/mo, which ATM is a little more than I was hoping to spend.

The wife and I have an offer in on a short sale; we're hoping to hear something by the end of July. If we get good news I'll hold off; but if we don't get it and it's looking like another 4-6 months before we can get into a house I may pull the trigger on at least a couple months in that place so I'm ready for wheeling when the weather is not quite so insanely sweltering.

In the meantime, everyone holler if you know of any similar situations!

Thanks;
Ike

She's High Maintenance: 1999 TJ, 4.0, 5spd. 2" BB, 1.25" BL, MML, sliders, front and rear recovery points, D30/D35 (both open), 31" ATs, differential guards, UCF oil pan skid, Savvy gast tank skid, and a dirty smile.

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:57 pm 
Trail Duster

For people with access to Davis Montham, you can use the auto hobby shop. It is complete with lifts and almost any tool you could possibly need. You can rent a bay with a lift for like $3/hr (something like that), but I'm not sure about the Jeep staying there overnight on a lift if you cannot complete the job. I used the facility about a month ago to install my one-piece rear axles. Having my Jeep on the lift made my life much easier. If you don't have access to DM, try to make friends with an Airman. lol

I have a 3 car garage, but I am in the beginning stages of looking for an actual shop. I have a CNC plasma table that takes up a whole bay in my garage and would like to get it out of the house eventually. I would like to rent out a 1200 +/- ft2 shop sooner or later. I would bring my plasma table over there for starters and maybe use the shop as a little maintenance bay for my never ending projects.

Good luck finding a place to work on you vehicle. I understand your frustrations.

Automatic transmission, HANDEN FAB bumpers (my bumpers) 4.10 gear ratio, BFG 33 AT, 1-piece rear axle, Ramsey Winch, 258 I6 motor, Howell TBI, DUI Ignition

Semper Fi
99-04

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:07 pm 
Trail Duster

Just thought of something..... Not sure where you live, but there is a storage facility on Houghton and Valencia that has "hobby units" equipped with lighting and power. The units are 10ft x 20ft. IIRC, it was only about $120/month to rent out a space. I was seriously considering doing it, but hey did not have 220V power and would not allow me to install a 220V receptacle. This is something you may want to consider. I'm sure other storage facilities in town also sell hobby units. This is definitely big enough to get a vehicle in there and do some decent wrenching on it.

Automatic transmission, HANDEN FAB bumpers (my bumpers) 4.10 gear ratio, BFG 33 AT, 1-piece rear axle, Ramsey Winch, 258 I6 motor, Howell TBI, DUI Ignition

Semper Fi
99-04

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:09 pm 
Asphalt Lover
Years of membershipYears of membership

you can't leave your vehicle in the auto hobby shop overnight you have to roll it out but the bays with lifts are cheap to rent and they have pretty much any tool you would need to use but you can't use there welders unless you take one of there classes i think its like 15 dollars and they won't let you balance your own tires they will do it for 8 dollars a wheel

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:40 am 
Mall Crawler

I'm at work for a 24 hour shift today but tomorrow I'll try to find some time to roll past Houghton and Valencia to check it out. $120 a month is MUCH more in my price range than $300.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Ike

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:12 am 
Asphalt Lover

In my opinion renting any self storage unit is really very beneficial for storing any type of items over there on monthly and yearly basis. I found that self storage Tingalpa providing the great services in there region. Thanks!!

Profile E-mail  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:26 pm 
Asphalt Lover
Years of membershipYears of membership

Jatepper, you ever look into the rent/lease price for the shop you mentioned? I am planning to build onto my garage to make room for my plasma table build and use. I have no idea what space costs in the Tucson area but may be intersted in a shop like you mentioned.

Profile E-mail